The Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) are the backbone of Hong Kong's economy, accounting for 98% local businesses providing over 1.3 million job opportunities. About 340,000 businesses are within the definition of Hong Kong SMEs, with fewer than 100 employees for manufacturing entities, and fewer than 50 for non-manufacturing. A majority of SMEs are in the import/export trade and wholesale industries, followed by professional and business, retail, social and personal services.
Hong Kong SAR government is proactive in providing support for SMEs, including funding, training and consultation. AmCham Hong Kong is honored to have Trade and Industry Department Director-General Ms. Salina Yan to open the workshop, "Smart Strategies for SMEs to capture business opportunities and manage risks".
The AmCham Trade and Investment, Financial Services and Transportation and Logistics Committees have brought together experts to conduct two practical sessions for SMEs on capturing opportunities and managing risks in the Greater Bay Area (GBA) and the ASEAN region.
• Panel 1: Opportunities – How SMEs may capture business opportunities through new technology, digital transformation, e-commerce tools and logistics
• Panel 2: Risks – How SMEs can manage their compliance risks in relation to corruption, money laundering, sanctions and anti competitive behavior
Registration / Self-service Breakfast
• Salina Yan, Director-General of Trade and Industry, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of China
Panel 1 – Opportunity Panel
Moderator: Ming Lai Cheung, Manager for Illicit Trade Prevention – Asia, Philip Morris International
•John Labadorf, Senior Partnership Manager, Partnerships | Global Digital | HK, The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Limited
• Anthony Leung, Managing Director, FedEx Express, Hong Kong and Macau
• Leonie Valentine, Managing Director – Sales & Operations, Google (Hong Kong) Limited
Panel 2 – Risk Panel
Moderator: Jeremy Birch, Corporate Crime & Investigations, Herbert Smith Freehills
• Paul Charmatz, Head of Account Management, Refinitiv
• Rod Francis, Senior Managing Director, Financial Crime Compliance, FTI Consulting
• Dominic Wai, Partner, ONC Lawyers